Windsor Presbyterian Church, originally known as Windsor Community Church, was formed on December 14, 1922 even before Windsor Heights was incorporated as a city. Join us as we re-tell the stories that make Windsor Presbyterian Church at the corner of 63rd and University so unique and special. Check back often to hear and read these stories celebrating 100 years of worship.
We have been hosting celebrations and milestones
of our 100 years of worship and service throughout 2022-2023,
to the glory of God at Windsor Presbyterian Church.
Rarely has a church been organized for the benefit of a community that did not yet exist as was Windsor Community Church on December 14, 1922. The local population was few in number, primarily engaged in coal-mining and farming. The area would eventually become the city of Windsor Heights when it incorporated in June of 1941.
A real estate lot on the NW corner of University Avenue, the only paved road, and 63rd Street was donated to Windsor Community Church by Mrs. C.G.A. Carlson in 1922 -- 100 years ago. With financial assistance a large basement structure was completed enabling the congregation to gather for worship and social activities. And did so until 1948 when a beautiful designed Tudor-style sanctuary was built above the original basement structure. Later additions in 1957 and 1982 provided classrooms and Fellowship Hall dining area that are still in use today.
Church history suggests that the bell used to call the community to worship had been originally installed at the Little Brown Church, Nashua, Iowa.
In May 1924, Windsor Community Church affiliated with the Presbyterian Church of U.S.A. and later became known as Windsor Presbyterian Church.
Throughout it's history Windsor Presbyterian Church has served as a community center for a number of activities including a local men's club, Boy Scouts, Girls Scouts, Brownie Scouts, Iowa Youth Chorus, volunteer fire department meetings, polling site on election days, music lessons/classes, and other events/activities.
(information taken from "A Century of Christian Service in Windsor Heights and the Greater Des Moines Community," by Don Beeson)